What is ketosis? Our expert nutritionist explains all.
There’s a lot of information out there about ketosis— especially when it comes using a keto diet as a way to lose weight. Is it really effective? Is it safe? How does it work?
Nutritional consultant and PhD Researcher, Richie Kirwan, is here to cut through the noise and provide you with science-approved, evidence-based facts.
Watch this video to get to grips with the basics of ketosis and find out whether going keto would be a good fit for your own goals.
Got any questions or other topics you’d like to see Richie cover next? Let us know in the comments below!
See more from Richie here:
Subscribe to our channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MyproteinUK
At Myprotein it’s our mission to #FuelYourAmbition and push you forwards on your #ForeverFit journey.
We’re here for active men and women who want to invest in themselves mentally and physically — for the long run.
Only expert-backed advice. No quick fixes — just the facts.
Shop Myprotein https://www.myprotein.com/
Download the Myprotein App https://www.myprotein.com/myprotein-app.list
Stay connected with us:
Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/myproteinuk/
Twitter — https://twitter.com/myproteinuk
Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/MyproteinUK
TikTok — https://www.tiktok.com/@myprotein
1. Zhang Y, Kuang Y, Xu K, Harris D, Lee Z, LaManna J, et al. Ketosis proportionately spares glucose
utilization in brain. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2013;33(8):1307‐11.
2. Newman JC, Verdin E. Ketone bodies as signalling metabolites. Trends Endocrinol Metab.
3. Tay J, Brinkworth GD, Noakes M, Keogh J, Clifton PM. Metabolic effects of weight loss on a very‐low carbohydrate
diet compared with an isocaloric high‐carbohydrate diet in abdominally obese subjects. J Am Coll
4. Gibson AA, Seimon RV, Lee CM, Ayre J, Franklin J, Markovic TP, et al. Do ketogenic diets really suppress
appetite? A systematic review and meta‐analysis. Obesity reviews: an official journal of the International
Association for the Study of Obesity. 2015;16(1):64‐76.
5. Stubbs BJ, Cox PJ, Evans RD, Cyranka M, Clarke K, de Wet H. A Ketone Ester Drink Lowers Human
Ghrelin and Appetite. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2018;26(2):269‐73.
6. Hall KD, Chen KY, Guo J, Lam YY, Leibel RL, Mayer LE, et al. Energy expenditure and body composition
changes after an isocaloric ketogenic diet in overweight and obese men. Am J Clin Nutr. 2016;104(2):324‐33.
7. Soto‐Mota A, Vansant H, Evans RD, Clarke K. Safety and tolerability of sustained exogenous ketosis
using ketone monoester drinks for 28 days in healthy adults. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2019;109:104506.
8. Greene DA, Varley BJ, Hartwig TB, Chapman P, Rigney M. A Low‐Carbohydrate Ketogenic Diet Reduces
Body Mass Without Compromising Performance in Powerlifting and Olympic Weightlifting Athletes. The Journal
of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2018;32(12).
9. Kephart WC, Pledge CD, Roberson PA, Mumford PW, Romero MA, Mobley CB, et al. The Three‐Month
Effects of a Ketogenic Diet on Body Composition, Blood Parameters, and Performance Metrics in CrossFit
Trainees: A Pilot Study. Sports (Basel). 2018;6(1).
10. Harvey KL, Holcomb LE, Kolwicz SC, Jr. Ketogenic Diets and Exercise Performance. Nutrients.
11. Bueno NB, de Melo ISV, de Oliveira SL, da Rocha Ataide T. Very‐low‐carbohydrate ketogenic diet v.
low‐fat diet for long‐term weight loss: a meta‐analysis of randomised controlled trials. Br J Nutr.
12. Noakes M, Foster PR, Keogh JB, James AP, Mamo JC, Clifton PM. Comparison of isocaloric very low
carbohydrate/high saturated fat and high carbohydrate/low saturated fat diets on body composition and
cardiovascular risk. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2006;3:7.
13. Dashti HM, Al‐Zaid NS, Mathew TC, Al‐Mousawi M, Talib H, Asfar SK, et al. Long term effects of
ketogenic diet in obese subjects with high cholesterol level. Mol Cell Biochem. 2006;286(1‐2):1‐9.
14. Pérez‐Guisado J, Muñoz‐Serrano A, Alonso‐Moraga Á. Spanish Ketogenic Mediterranean diet: a
healthy cardiovascular diet for weight loss. Nutrition Journal. 2008;7(1):30.